Make Snack time Count
If your kids are anything like ours, you can’t head out to the playground without snacks in tow. Of course you want to fill your little ones up with nutritious snacks that are also fun for them to eat. Check out Dr. Deena’s tips as a mom and pediatrician to make snacking on the go easy peesy and super wholesome!
1. Load up on fruits and veggies: Fruit and veggies are tasty and nutritious snacks full of vitamins, fiber and nutrients. Grab some whole fruit or make it more fun with berries or cut up fruits and veggies that provide antioxidant vitamins. If you are having a picnic, bring along cute paper goods and display cut up pieces like a funny fruit faces or a banana person. If your baby is too young for finger foods or you don’t have time to cut up fresh veggies; take along an Ella’s Kitchen® pouch like apples green beans + raisins or pears mangoes + papaya for a quick and easy way to provide your kids with fruits and veggies.
2. Don’t forget to drink: With the heat, humidity children need to keep drinking when running around the playground and playing sports. Stay away from sugar-sweetened drinks with caffeine or artificial flavors. Instead reach for delicious Ella’s Kitchen® fruit and vegetable smoothie drinks such as Amaaazing Apple and Zucchini, part of the Made to Matter, Handpicked by Target aisle. These drinks are naturally sweetened with fruits and area great alterative to sodas. They have 8-9 grams of sugar per 8 fl oz and no additives or artificial flavors. When my four year old is begging for a juice box as a mom and a pediatrician, I turn to Ella’s smoothie juice drinks and their electrolyte coconut water options!
3. Go for organic: With so many choices out there for snacks choosing nutritious foods can often be confusing. Many items are labeled natural, but what does that really mean? Look for items that are certified USDA organic. This guarantees they are produced without the use of potentially harmful pesticides or GMOs. Choose foods that have no artificial flavors, and contain pure ingredients. All of our Ella’s Kitchen® products are organic and contain no artificial ingredients. When little ones are running around the playground expending lots of energy they need calories to help keep them nourished and going strong throughout the day. Ella’s Kitchen® carrot + lentil multigrain sticks are a scrumptious snack made with a veggie + lentil based snack that has carbohydrates and protein to meet their caloric needs.
4. Even for a snack, labels matter: Forget the extra additives: When it comes to choosing foods for your kids you want to avoid anything with ingredients you don’t recognize or can’t pronounce. The entire line of Ella’s Kitchen® pouches and toddler snacks are made without artificial colors and flavors. They are made from real ingredients- organic fruits, veggies, dairy ingredients, legumes, grains and meats and poultry that are required to be raised without added antibiotics or artificial growth hormones. When you read the ingredients you can recognize them all. As parents, we sleep better knowing the food we put in our little one’s bodies is nutritious and without potentially harmful substances.
5. Wholesome alternatives to traditional snacks: Let’s face it; sometimes your kid just wants a cookie. When it comes to choosing cookies choose ones that are made with high quality organic ingredients, have no added refined sugars or artificial sweeteners. Ella’s Kitchen® oat +honey cookies or apple ginger cookies taste delicious and are great options for when your child just “needs” oops I mean “wants” a cookie!